Dental Implant Placement Surgery with the Benefits and Risks
Dentistry has witnessed numerous advances benefiting dental care. Unfortunately, millions of Canadians suffer from tooth loss primarily from tooth decay, gum disease, or injury. Earlier dental bridges and dentures were the only alternatives available for people with missing teeth. Presently even the dentist near you recommends dental implants as optimal replacement solutions for missing teeth cleaning Surrey.
Explaining Dental Implants
Dental implants are artificial replacements for the tooth roots you lost with your natural teeth. The implants provide a stable foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth custom created to match your natural teeth. After placement in the edentulous gap in your mouth and after the healing process, dental implants resemble your natural teeth with the customized fixed or removable dental crown placed on top.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have numerous advantages, some of which are detailed below for your understanding:
- Appearance: Dental implants appear and feel like your natural teeth. Biocompatible material helps make dental implants that fuse with your jawbone to become permanent placements.
- Enhanced Eating Ability: the implants embedded in your jawbone do not slide or slip like it is familiar with dentures that make chewing challenging. The placements allow you to eat the foods you love with confidence painlessly.
- Improved Comfort: As dental implants integrate with your body to become part of you, they eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Enhanced Self-Confidence: Implants restore your self-confidence by returning your smile to help you feel better about yourself.
- Better Oral Health: dental implants don’t require tooth structure removal from the neighbouring teeth as it is familiar with dental bridges. As the adjacent teeth are not altered to support implant placements, your remaining teeth are left intact, enhancing your long-term oral health. Single implant placements also enable easier access between the teeth to improve your oral hygiene.
- Durability: with proper dental hygiene and regular appointments for exams and cleanings with your dentist Newton, dental implants last for a lifetime.
How Successful are Dental Implants?
The success rates for dental implants can vary depending on their placements in the jaw. However, if you adhere to your dentist’s instructions and refrain from detrimental habits, you can expect a success rate of dental implants at around 98 percent.
Are Dental Implants Suitable for Everyone?
If you are healthy enough to have your teeth extracted or undergo any oral surgery, you can consider yourself a candidate for dental implants. Having healthy gums and sufficient bone to hold the implants are essential factors determining your candidacy for the treatment.
When you inquire about tooth replacement solutions with dental implants near you, expect to receive advice from dental professionals to maintain excellent oral hygiene and regular dental visits. In addition, if you are considering dental implants, you must discuss with the dentist whether they are suitable for your unique situation.
If you suffer from uncontrolled chronic disorders like diabetes or heart disease, indulge in tobacco use or have had radiation therapy to the head or neck, you need an evaluation from dental implants Newton Centre to confirm your candidacy for this tooth placement solution.
The Implant Placement Surgical Procedure
The surgical procedure for implant placement starts only after developing an individual treatment plan specifically for you. A team of professionals trained and experienced in oral and restorative surgery prepare the project.
After creating the treatment plan for the dental implant, a tiny post made from titanium is placed edentulous socket of the missing tooth. During the healing period called osseointegration, your jawbone integrates with the implanted post to anchor it securely in the jawbone. The healing process requires six to 12 weeks.
After completing the recovery from implant placement surgery, dental implants Newton Centre attaches a tiny connector post called an abutment to the implant to securely hold your artificial tooth. They also take impressions of your teeth to create a model of your bite before creating the new tooth using the model. Your replacement tooth a dental crown is finally attached to the abutment.
Dental Implant Risks
Dental implant surgery poses some risks like any other surgical procedure. However, the problems are minor and easily treatable as and when they occur. However, the chances are rare and may occur as infections at the implant site, nerve damage causing pain and discomfort in your natural teeth, gums, lips, or chin, or sinus problems if you have dental implants placed in the upper jaw. However, the complications are managed by dentists appropriately whenever they occur.
Caring for Dental Implants
Caring for dental implants is a breeze requiring excellent dental hygiene, including brushing twice a day, flossing, and regular dental visits. In addition, you must ensure you don’t allow plaque buildup, a leading cause of gum disease, to develop on your teeth if you want to maintain the longevity of your implanted tooth.