Dental Implants vs. Bridges: Pros Cons and Which to Choose
Loss of a tooth or more affects your oral health, overall health, and appearance. It is, therefore, necessary to have a missing tooth replaced by a dentist near you. Standard restorative dentistry procedures include dental implant surgery and dental bridges placement. Although both methods are highly successful, there are several differences between them.
A dental implant is a device composed of a titanium screw placed in the jaw bone. It is connected to a dental prosthetic to mimic a complete tooth in function and appearance. When replacing a single tooth, a dentist places a dental crown prosthetic over the implant.
In situations where you need several teeth replaced, a dental bridge is used. The bridge is known as an implant-supported bridge. An implant may also be used to support dentures.
A dental bridge is a tooth restoration method that involves using a dental crown and false teeth. The crowns are attached to a tooth or teeth adjacent to the gap left by the missing tooth or teeth to support the false teeth. Crowns come in various types. They are Cantilever bridges, Maryland Bonded bridges, Traditional bridges, and Implant-supported bridges.
Dental Implant vs. Bridge Pros and Cons
Dental implant Pros
- Implants are durable. They may last for decades with proper care and maintenance.
- They restore the function of your teeth and improve your appearance.
- Implants are convenient since you do not remove them when sleeping or cleaning.
- The surrounding teeth are not altered during the procedure.
- These devices help restore oral hygiene as cleaning the teeth becomes much more manageable.
- Implants are firmly held in place by the jawbone. They, therefore, give you the confidence to chew food or speak like you would with your natural teeth.
- Dental implants improve your physical appearance and prevent premature aging. they do this by promoting jawbone restoration.
Dental Implants Cons
- The process of placing dental implants takes a long time, sometimes up to six months. During this time, you will need to visit the dentist near you frequently to monitor the area.
- Dental implants are not likely to be covered by insurance. However, dental financing for a dental implant in Newton Surrey is available.
- Dental implant surgery may have several side effects, especially within recovery.
Dental Bridges Pro
- Dental bridges restore your smile and improve your looks significantly.
- The restorations help restore self-esteem and confidence that were affected by tooth loss.
- The restorations are easy to care for since they are cleaned similarly to your natural teeth.
- Bridges correct bad bites by distributing the forces of your bite correctly.
- They help improve oral hygiene and health.
- The devices restore a person’s ability to speak without a lisp caused by the gap in your mouth.
- Bridges keep the adjacent teeth from shifting into the gaps left by the missing teeth.
- The ability to chew and eat improves since your bite feels natural.
Dental Bridges Cons
- Dental bridges have to be replaced after approximately 5-7 years.
- Decay and cavities can affect the teeth covered by dental crowns.
- Healthy teeth around the bridge are altered irreversibly.
- Dental bridges lose their natural-looking appearance after some years.
Which to Choose
Your dentist Newton will guide you in making a decision between several restorative dentistry options. The choice between dental implants and bridges may be determined by:
- The number of missing teeth you want to replace.
If you are missing two or more consecutive teeth, a dental bridge is the better option. However if you want more than two teeth replaced in an arch, an implant supported bridge is more suitable.
- Your overall health
Candidates who cannot undergo oral surgery due to medical conditions cannot have dental implants. Bridges are suitable for people with conditions such as leukemia or uncontrolled diabetes.
The dental implant process takes months to complete while a bridge requires only a week or two. If you are pressed for time, a dental bridge is your best option.
Replacing teeth with a dental bridge is less costly than a dental implant procedure. However, dental financing is available for both procedures.
At King George Dental Centre, we offer comprehensive dental services for people of all ages. Our in-house dentists are trained and experienced in several dentistry fields. Contact us today for treatments such as dental implants, bridges, crowns, braces, and root canals.