Traditional Braces or Invisalign®: Which is better?
Orthodontics is a crucial part of dentistry, responsible for dental protocols for repositioning teeth and realigning jaws. Orthodontics caters to the functional needs of an oral cavity while improving the general appearance of a smile. To achieve any changes in your smile’s alignment, a dentist near me must employ oral aligners. The aligners place controlled pressure on your teeth to move them.
What Are Traditional Braces?
They are the most common types of teeth aligners in orthodontic dentistry. Traditional braces feature metal brackets and wires placed on the surfaces of teeth to rotate and move them. During treatment, the dentist will adjust the wires between the metal brackets to direct the movement of teeth.
What Is Invisalign?
It is an alternative oral appliance for straightening teeth in orthodontics. Dentists at King George Dental Centre use Invisalign® in Surrey, BC, as an aesthetically pleasing option for metal braces. Invisalign braces feature a transparent plastic-like tray worn over teeth to shift them. The aligners also apply controlled pressure on your teeth over a pre-determined period to achieve expected changes.
Which of the Two Is Better for Orthodontic Treatments?
Choosing between traditional braces and Invisalign near you is not an easy choice. You have to consider various factors, including your preferences. You must also take into account the directives of your orthodontist as she may have a better insight into which would work best for you.
Advantages of Traditional Braces Over Invisalign
- They are perfect for complex orthodontic problems – if you have complex overcrowding, jaw misalignment, crooked teeth, or large spaces in your smile, metal braces are better for correcting the alignment of your smile.
- They can achieve better results – metal braces exert more force on teeth that can move them to the desired positions.
- They are perfect for fixing bites – orthodontics is not just about straightening teeth. Your bite is also a crucial aspect of an optimally functional oral cavity. Metal braces prioritize functionality over aesthetics, which means you will have better results for both your bite and teeth alignment.
Advantages of Invisalign Over Traditional Braces
- They are aesthetically pleasing – Invisalign braces are virtually invisible. It is why they are sometimes called clear braces or invisible aligners. Therefore, you can flaunt your smile throughout your treatment without anyone knowing. Conservative patients will do anything to avoid the conspicuity of metal braces.
- They are comfortable – the plastic-like material of Invisalign braces glides smoothly on your cheeks, lips, and gums. You are less susceptible to accidents. Since they do not have any metal wires that need tightening, invisible braces will not cause as much pain and discomfort to your gums and jaw during your treatment.
- Fewer visits to the dentist – the only way to adjust invisible braces is by getting a new tray of aligners. Ideally, the initial teeth aligners you get when beginning your treatment will not be the ones you use throughout the treatment period. Every 6 or so weeks, your orthodontists will give you a new tray of clear braces. However, you do not always have to visit your dentist in person to get them. Once you master the concept of wearing your clear aligners and using them correctly, you can get the trays in advance, minimizing the number of times you visit your dentist newton surrey.
- They are removable – this feature makes invisible braces appealing since you can remove them any time you want. Since they are removable, you have the freedom to eat whatever you want without risking damage to your natural teeth.
- They are easy to maintain – one of the big benefits of Invisalign braces is their ease of maintenance. You can clean them every time you remove them, ensuring they remain free from bacteria. Besides, it makes it much easier to maintain excellent oral hygiene for your teeth.
Which Teeth Aligners Should You Get?
Ultimately, your choice of teeth aligners will be guided by your preferences and the complexity of your orthodontic problem. Whether you get invisible braces or metal braces, the treatment will take time to complete. Typically, orthodontic treatments last between 6 and 18 months. Therefore, pick a teeth aligner that will make you comfortable throughout the many months of treatment.